Do you remember the days when Android users boasted of the higher processing power of their smartphones compared to iPhones? Then the technical characteristics of Apple branded devices were really quite unremarkable: 256 or at best 512 MB of RAM and single-core processors. They were replaced by dual-core only in 2011. But did not pull in any way to be considered productive. Therefore, all that remained for iPhone owners was to remember about optimization, which – here’s a paradox – still helps them out. It remains the main advantage over Android devices with mobile game development.
Features of Android versus iOS
Despite the fact that in recent years the range of Apple branded smartphones has grown greatly and now includes quite a few models based on not the most powerful processors. Even they pull almost any games from the App Store at maximum settings. The only exception that comes to my mind is Fortnite’s 60 FPS mode. It is only available on iPhones and iPads with A12 and newer processors. On Android, its support even among the top devices of 2020 is difficult to find, not to mention older ones. But what role does the notorious optimization play in this matter?
Whether you’re making a branded game or a gambling app that should generate revenue, start with research and descriptive competitor analysis. It is necessary to understand how free the niche you are interested in is, who your competitors are, what pitfalls may be during promotion.
The next step is to develop a unique idea – the game must be authentic, unparalleled on the market. The content and design of the game, original adaptive design and intuitive interface, well thought-out mechanics are important. When looking for a designer who will create layouts for a future game, try to choose those who already have similar experience, preferably in the direction that interests you. It will be useful to have references to other existing games and applications – they can represent approximate ideas for design elements or game functionality.
Great attention must be paid to the system of rewards and bonuses that motivate users to turn to the game often – this is a strategic move. This is the secret of user engagement and the key to the popularity of the game.
Now you need to determine the budget for the game, the time frame and draw up a detailed technical task for the programmer.
At first glance, it may seem that it is enough to come up with a plot, transfer it to the virtual world. It’s a wasted time on the road to nowhere. You must adhere to a certain sequence:
- idea – a fundamental stage, includes the concept of further actions. The idea should be fresh, not like the others. Although many sin with the creation of clones, as a win-win option. If there is not enough creativity for the new, make the old one in a new package. Decide on the audience, genre;
- involvement in the gameplay – the game should not get bored after passing a couple of levels. The development of events is not too rapid, increasing gradually. This way you can attract an audience that loves to relax while playing. At each level, new chips, bonuses, so that the user was curious – what’s next? Secrets, artifacts will not be superfluous;
- platform choice – the most popular: Android, IOS. If you have the money, go for the cross-platform model. No – research the most paying audience, work in one direction;
- design – hidden signs can be used to attract, details that players will definitely notice. The interface is of great importance, like the color palette, graphics;
- monetization is a strategic goal of project profitability. There are three standard paths here: advertising, premium version, in-app purchases.
After developing the plan, it is best to turn to professional developers with the appropriate skills and experience. Experts will implement the idea into a quality product, and you will get a profitable business.
Games on Mac Pro
To do this, Google has come up with a special tool called GPU. It allows you to optimize games for supported smartphones. This tool monitors how the game works on a particular device. It indicates the identified deficiencies. For example, as a result of testing the Google Pixel 4, it turned out that a certain game. It was chosen as an experimental one. It can consume 40% less resources. But still it performs as well. Subsequent tests showed, although not such a noticeable difference between the required and consumed power. But confirmed the effectiveness of GPU with Whimsy Games.
Yes, the path that Google has chosen is difficult. Because now it will have to enlist the help of manufacturers who will provide it with data on the combinations of hardware in their smartphones. Of course, not everyone will do this, since Google cannot cooperate with some. For example, with Huawei. It’s due to US sanctions. Therefore, very, very few will be able to get into the list of devices compatible with GPU Inspector. However, with due diligence, Google will sooner or later be able to come close to the level of optimization of games for Android that iPhone games are demonstrating.