Most people have been there. You live in an older home or you are in a flood area and the water level is always just below the ground. The consequence is that you often have damp and, therefore, mold in your home. It is simply something that you live with.
However, it shouldn’t be.
The Issue With Mold
Mold in the home is simply a fungus growing on your walls, it only occurs where the walls are damp and one of the most common causes of this is damp rising from the ground. However, it can also be a result of leaks from your roof, damp soaking through walls, and even a leaking pipe.
The critical thing to note is that mold can be detrimental to your health. Mold on your walls releases spores. These can’t be seen by the naked eye but you will breathe them in. They will then irritate your lungs, throat, nose, and even your eyes. It may seem like hayfever but it is more serious.
You may have mold and not seem to be suffering from it. However, that doesn’t mean it’s not entering your body and potentially causing issues. There are many different types of mold, which makes it difficult to know which one you are dealing with and what the effects may be. It’s safer to simply eliminate the mold and enjoy your home.
Do you have damp in your home? If so, then it’s time to consider damp proofing services. Damp can lead to mould which can be detrimental to the health of anyone living in the home. Mould grows best when there is damp and warm conditions, so if you want to prevent mould from growing in your house, contact Danford, Brewer and Ives today!
But, that’s not the only issue with mold.
As mentioned, mold can be a result of damp in the home from leaks. If this is the case then you may find that your wood is getting wet and starting to rot. This can happen surprisingly quickly. In short, mold can be a sign that you have an impending structural defect in your home.
Eliminating The Mold
The first thing you need to do is have a qualified building consultant Sydney inspect your property. They will be able to identify any issues, such as wet rot, leaks, and where the damp is coming from. They will also be able to recommend solutions to prevent the issue from coming back.
Only after they have seen your home should you eliminate the mold from the walls. It can be beneficial for them to see where the strongest part of the mold is.
You can then wipe the mold off. However, you should always use a damp cloth. It’s a good idea to soak the cloth in water and vinegar before you start wiping. This will prevent the mold spores from going into the atmosphere and the vinegar will help to deter the mold from returning.
Of course, dealing with the sauce of the damp will help to resolve the issue and prevent the mold from returning.
Don’t forget, just because you feel fine doesn’t mean you aren’t developing health problems, or that those around you don’t have associated health issues.
It is important to take any mold you find seriously and eradicate it as quickly as possible. It won’t just help your health, it will help to keep your property strong and maintain its resale value.