Today’s legal landscape is pretty competitive. There’s a competitive advantage to be gained by standing out from the crowd. And the best way to do that for any professional today is to build a strong personal brand. A well-established personal brand differentiates you from other legal professionals and attracts the right kind of clientele to your practice.
Wondering how to get clients as a lawyer? Look no further than this guide! We’re going to discuss the most reliable and common tips and strategies to bolster your personal brand as a lawyer and get more exposure – At least in locations and niches that are relevant to you.
How to Begin?
It’s not just about the expertise anymore. Attracting the right clients is much more than that. Creating a strong personal brand involves fine-tuning and promoting your unique values, strengths, and the experience of working with you.
Needless to say, creating a strong personal brand requires deliberate planning and consistent effort. You have to be strategic to cultivate your personal brand effectively.
First of all, you need a website and extensive social media presence, at least on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook. Your profile must be 100% professionally crafted.
The next step – You need to find your specialization and direct all your effort toward a small niche. It’s very difficult to rank for a search query like “lawyer” or “best attorney.” It’s easier to rank for more specific queries.
Base all your competitor analysis, keyword research, content creation, and brand communication based on this specialization.
For example, if you’re wondering how to get estate planning clients, then it might be relevant for you to research keywords generally related to estate planning and provide ample guidance—Value that’s free. This is called content marketing. The better and more valuable your content, the more traffic you’ll get, and you’ll naturally draw people who have an issue with estate planning, wills, or trusts.
After that, it’s up to your website’s optimization. Is there a live chat button? Is the form placed on the very top? Is it easy to get in touch with you or submit a query on your website?
14 Tips & Strategies to Build a Personal Brand Online as a Lawyer
Whether you are a seasoned attorney looking to enhance your professional standing or a newly minted lawyer venturing into the legal world, here are some tips and strategies that are bound to work in your favor when you’re attempting to create a strong personal brand as a lawyer and how to get business lawyer clients. Note that not all of these might apply to all types of lawyers. Niche down your practice into a specialized field of law. This helps you become an expert in that area which subsequently gives you an edge over general practitioners in attracting business lawyer clients.
- Define your brand identity: Clearly identify your unique strengths, values, and areas of expertise that differentiate you from other lawyers.
- Develop a professional website: Create a well-designed and informative website that showcases your expertise, accomplishments, and the services you offer.
- Optimize your website for search engines: Implement SEO strategies to improve your website’s visibility in search engine results and attract organic traffic.
- Create valuable content: Regularly produce high-quality, informative content such as blog posts, articles, videos, or podcasts that address legal topics and provide value to your target audience.
- Leverage social media platforms: Establish a strong presence on relevant social media platforms to engage with your audience, share insights, and build your professional network.
- Engage in online conversations: Participate in industry-related discussions, online forums, and social media groups to showcase your expertise and establish yourself as a thought leader.
- Run social media ads: Ads on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, etc. are generally cost-effective if you get the targeting right. Developing the right targeting might need some time. For example, you can select “Page Admins” on Meta (Facebook & Instagram) to target people who are likely to own businesses, if you specialize in business law.
- Make an email list: Offer valuable content or resources in exchange for email addresses to build a mailing list and nurture relationships with your subscribers.
- Showcase client testimonials: Feature positive testimonials and reviews from satisfied clients on your website and social media profiles to build trust and credibility.
- Collaborate with influencers: Collaborate with influencers or complementary professionals in your industry to expand your reach and tap into their existing audience.
- Network strategically: Attend industry events, join professional associations, and engage in networking opportunities both online and offline to connect with peers and potential clients.
- Provide exceptional client service: Deliver outstanding client experiences and prioritize client satisfaction to generate positive word-of-mouth referrals and build a strong reputation.
- Monitor your online reputation: Regularly monitor and respond to online reviews, feedback, and mentions to maintain a positive online reputation.
- Continuously educate yourself: Stay updated with the latest legal developments, industry trends, and emerging technologies to position yourself as a knowledgeable and forward-thinking lawyer.
Creating a distinctive personal brand that resonates with your target audience will set you apart as a trusted and reputable lawyer. And always remember—There are specialists and agencies that you can go to for help if you have some marketing budget and a few competitors to beat!
For example, getting in touch with a law firm PPC agency or hiring content writers who specialize in legal matters for your website are a couple of ways where you can outsource, often cost-effectively, to grow your personal brand quickly.