Having a feature-rich app is not enough. Developers must be on their toes to launch and implement recent updates so that the end user always has the best app usage experience. However, updating and managing frequent updates for a Ruby on Rails app has always been an expert’s job.
This is why most app providers hire seasoned Ruby on Rails developers that can take care of development, maintenance, and updates with full perfection.
In this post, we’re going to explain:
- Why be bothered about updating the Ruby on Rails apps
- When and when not to upgrade
- How to upgrade
Hope it’ll be an interesting read for you
Ruby on Rails Apps Upgrade – Why To Get Involved
Ruby On Rails for backend development is a great choice because it’s a full-stack resource, it lets developers write codes swiftly, and the applications are capable of handling huge traffic with full ease and effort.
But, as you plan to use Ruby on Rails, you need to be aware of the fact that you have to launch frequent updates of the app.
- Ruby, to provide the best, launches new versions almost yearly. With each update, you get to enjoy the best performance gains and reliability.
- Adopting these updates means that you have a chance to make the apps faster and add new features by simply modifying one or two lines of code.
- Not only does the performance and reliability improve with each update, but also the security profile of the app improves. Every update proffers a patch for previous security hassles and makes it sounder.
- Sometimes, developers need to integrate 3rd party libraries into the app, but you can’t as the current Ruby version is not permitting this action. Instead of making efforts to port the library, try updating the current version of Ruby on Rails.
- You won’t be able to enjoy native support for very old versions. With no native support, you won’t be able to fix the technical errors and glitches that will make your app irrelevant to current customers’ needs and expectations.
All in all, updating the Ruby on Rail is what you need to improve the performance, viability, and security of your application, which is the need of the hour.
As history has witnessed, Ruby launched all of its major versions on December 25th of every year. However, we recommend waiting for some time, say 6 months or 1 year, to adopt the new version. As to why you will have a real-time tested and verified update. Once an update goes live, some of its practical bugs and glitches come to the surface. Ruby works on them, and you get the best possible version of the latest version.
Get Ready For Ruby On Rails Upgrade
Now that you’re clear about the importance of Ruby On Rails and when to go for an upgrade, it’s time to learn how to get started with an upgrade.
- Your first step in this direction should be installing the current version of Ruby on Rail. You will need a Ruby manager for this. Open it and go to Gemfile and run bundle update. Fix dependencies, if any.
- To make the new version work on your device, you need to update the device version too. Go to Gemfile> Devise version number and run bundle update.
- Use the rails app: update command to update the application. As you launch this command, a list of configuration files in Rails will start updating.
- When everything is installed, you need to test the suite. Start with booting and then check for failure. Also, check for any deprecation warnings. Clean the entire deprecation warnings one by one.
- Once all the deprecation warnings are fixed, run the app locally and launch the Rails console. Look for any other deprecation warnings.
- The app is updated and running on the new Ruby On Rails version.
This was a quick overview of updating Ruby on Rails. There are many more steps and processes that are involved.
Apps built on Ruby On Rails are capable of handling high traffic easily and will have strong back-end and front-end features. The best part about choosing Ruby on Rails for backend development is that you get to enjoy frequent and timely updates to keep your app in its best form. However, making new updates work is not a novice’s job. You need seasoned professionals. Hire Ruby on Rails developer today and enjoy the benefits that come with every recent Ruby on Rails update.
Chandresh Patel is a CEO, Agile coach and founder of Bacancy Technology. His truly entrepreneurial spirit, skillful expertise and extensive knowledge in the Agile software development services has helped the organization to achieve new heights of success. Chandresh is fronting the organization into global markets in a systematic, innovative and collaborative way to fulfill custom software development.