Planning to buy used manual lathes? The lathe machine is one of the important tool machines on the shop floor. It is used for performing multiple tasks like drilling, knurling, sanding, and cutting. The workpiece is fixed on the clamp and rotated at an axis. During rotation, the required process like drilling or cutting is done on the workpiece.
The Lathe machine is used for manufacturing different products like a bat, table legs and so on. It is also used for performing metal work tasks and also some complex glassworks. If you are not following the guidelines of the machine or if you are not trained with the functions of the machine then it may cause accidents. It has become common to see used manual lathes for sale in both online and offline stores. Hi-Tech Machinery Inc. has shared some of the useful tips that the operators must follow to avoid accidents while working in a lathe machine.
- Check the posture: When operating with used manual lathes the operator must be in an erect position and upright posture. While the power switch of the lathe machine is on do not lean on the machine to avoid accidents.
- The safe distance must be maintained while working in the lathe machine: The operator should not stand in the back or front of the workpiece. This area is said to be the Red zone area because many induced projectile accidents will occur in this area. The wooden piece or the sharp metal piece may strike on the operator. Dirt and loosened machine parts will also cause projectile accidents.
- Check the speed of the rotating parts: If you are operating the machine at high speed then the workpiece will be shaky. Reduce the machine speed to stop the vibration of the workpiece. Before setting the speed of the machine check the speed chart and set the RPM according to that.
Related Service: metal fabrication services
- Precautions for polishing and sanding: Before performing polishing and sanding tasks on the lathe machine you must remove the tool rest of the machine.
- Metal chips must be removed: Do not use plain hands to remove the metal chips from the machine. The sharp metal chip may hurt your hands which sometimes causes severe injury. For cleaning the metal chips from the lathe machine you can use tools like brush and pliers. You must not use a blowing air system to clean the lathe machine because the flying particle from the machine may hurt your face or other body parts.
- Maintenance: One of the important safety precautions for the lathe machine is proper maintenance. Replacing the damaged parts and worn out components will prevent you from accidents and breakdowns. Try to keep the shop floor clean to prevent hitting, slipping and tripping.
- Adjustment of lathe parts: Before adjusting the components of the lathe machine you must switch off the lathe motor. After switching off the main power wait for some time so that the machine comes to a normal position. Do not attend the machine while the power is on. Protect your eyes while doing maintenance work.
- Safety gears: The operator must wear safety glasses and masks to protect them from the splinters and projectiles. The operator must wear masks during sanding and filing tasks since it produces more dust. Do not wear loose clothes while operating in the lathe machine. If you are wearing loose clothes then tie it before operating the machine. Tie your hair because it may be stuck into the rotating piece of the lathe machine. Do not wear ornaments and jewelry while working in the lathe machine. If possible wear earplug to avoid extra noises from the machine.
You must be logged in to post a comment.