What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth used to replace a missing or damaged tooth. It is a screw-like mechanism that connects to the jawbone to mimic a tooths natural root that provides a stable base for a tooth. Casey Dentists, Townsville Orthodontics, advises that they are the most natural artificial replacement for a tooth. They can be made from a few materials, but they have to be compatible with the body and mouth, so often, you’ll find they’re titanium.
The dental implant is the artificial base where dentures, dental crowns, bridges or replacement teeth can be attached. They are versatile and can be used for single tooth replacement up to full month teeth replacements.
Why would I get a dental implant?
If you have a damaged or missing tooth or teeth, you have a few false teeth options. However, dental implants are the only permanent option. Let us go through a few of the benefits of dental implants:
- They’re permanent, so they last longer than any other false tooth option.
- They are sturdier because they are connected to the jawbone, and the screw-like mechanism them the best option for durability. You don’t have to worry about what you eat with dental implants.
- They look like natural teeth.
- They improve confidence. Having a missing tooth can seriously impact your self-confidence, and other false tooth options are removable and obvious, not helping your confidence. Dental implants act as a natural tooth, giving back your confident smile.
What is the treatment like for dental implants?
Dental implants are a permanent treatment, meaning they can take up to 6 months to complete. But most of the time, treatment will last anywhere between 3-6 months. The process is as follows:
- To start with, the old tooth needs to be removed. The dental implant is placed into the jaw, and a screw is used to seal it, ensuring it doesn’t get infected. This is the long step as you need to wait for the implant to fuse to the jawbone.
- The next step is to attach what we call a “post”. The post and the implant are what act as the root of the tooth and provide the foundation.
- Lastly, a crown is attached to the implant post, and you’re done! You might have a few follow-up visits to ensure everything is going smoothly, but the process is complete.
How much will a dental implant cost?
Like many things in life, a dental implant’s cost will vary depending on each case and the chosen orthodontist, so giving an exact figure is impossible. There are a few things your orthodontist will have to look at when providing a quote. First, they need to know how many teeth need to be replaced and the desired materials for each tooth. Other common considerations include the need for a bone graft or a sinus lift. On average, a dental implant roughly costs $5,500 per tooth. But this figure can be as low as $3,000 and as high as $12,000 depending on individual circumstances.
While dental implants are a serious treatment, the benefits and improved quality of life cannot be understated. If you’re considering dental implant treatment, it would be best to visit an experienced dentist that can give you more information about your situation and run you through the procedure.