White Gold Vs. Sterling Silver – Understanding The Differences

It is quite tough to differentiate between white gold and sterling silver, especially for untrained eyes. Though their colour is the same, both the metals are extremely different from one another. To understand the difference between the two, let us first know a little about the material.

White Gold

White Gold

White Gold

White gold is a balanced combination of pure gold and other metals, giving it a hard texture and a significant white appearance. Generally, the alloys utilized in white gold are silver or palladium, nickel. However, the resources of white gold alter depending upon the alloy it is used.

Sterling Silver

Sterling Silver

Sterling Silver

Sterling silver is an alloy of silver, and when silver is mixed with copper, sterling silver originates. Its standard has a minimum millesimal fineness of 925, which means it contains 92.5% pure silver.

White Gold vs Sterling Silver 

The type of jewelry you are planning to buy will count heavily into your choice between white gold and sterling silver. Though Steff Eleoff jewelry will help you figure out the difference, take a look at the below-mentioned point to grow your knowledge to ease your decision process.

  • Durability 

When buying a piece of jewelry that you will be wearing regularly, such as an engagement ring, white gold is a stabler at odds for long-standing endurance and resistance to use. However, remember that the hardness of white gold completely depends on its pureness.

Silver is soft and easy to scratch and can change shape slightly with wear and tear, while white gold is resistant to corrosion and impact.

  • Affordability 

Sterling silver is one of the most affordable varieties of metal meant for jewelry, making it a perfect choice for costume jewelry, switchable with your garments. In contrast, white gold is moderately affordable. Its extremely durable nature does increase its price; it still costs much less than platinum.

  • Maintenance & Care 

Sterling silver and white gold both require a certain level of maintenance, the same as other jewelry. White gold jewelry needs a reapplication of rhodium plating at an interval of a few years. This helps restore the white finish of the metal, preventing your jewelry from turning yellow. While on the other side, sterling silver requires cleaning and polish to maintain its finish.

No matter what method you decide, make sure you visit a jeweler like Steff Eleoff jewelry, for a check-up and professional cleaning.

  • Allergic Reactions

Nickel is the most common metal that leads to allergic reactions from the jewelry.

The base composition of sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver combined with copper, but nickel might be present in the other 7.5% of metals used.

Nickel is generally adopted as the alloy, but normally white gold is plated with Rhodium, a silvery-white alloy in the platinum class. The Rhodium plating originally protects the users from any nickel present in the gold, but it ultimately fades off, disturbing the skin if allergic.

Conclusion

If you still have any confusion or are willing to procure any service related to jewelry, make sure you visit Steff Eleoff jewelry today. Their efficient and reliable employers will help you get through the process with utmost ease.

%d bloggers like this: