Hair transplant is not generally the first choice of treatment option for people suffering from severe hair loss. People are skeptical of the idea of a failed hair transplantation. Read this article to know if a hair transplant is a good idea or not.
Is hair transplant a good idea or not?
The answer to the question asked varies from individual to individual. Yes, a hair transplant is a good idea for people suffering from excessive balding and thinning hair that makes them look older. But hair transplant may not be suitable for individuals who are suffering from baldness due to hereditary factors and already have undergone the procedure once.
Several studies have confirmed that hair transplantation is a better treatment option to cure hair loss than over-the-counter hair regrowth products. However, there are a couple of factors that affect the effectiveness of hair transplantation. People suffering from balding or thinning hair due to natural causes or an accident are likely to benefit from the procedure more than individuals who have extensive baldness or hair due to chemotherapy or some particular medications.
According to a 2016 study, people with dormant hair follicles were not much benefitted after hair transplantation but they experienced significant hair growth after hair fall Platelet Rich Platelets therapies.
After knowing the benefits of hair transplantation, you may be able to decide whether hair transplantation is an appropriate treatment option or not.
Benefits of hair transplant
Primarily, the following 5 benefits of hair transplantation make it worthwhile to undergo.
- Cost-effectiveness- As compared to other treatment options for growing hair on the scalp, hair transplantation is a much more cost-effective procedure. You have to bear the cost of the procedure once whereas while using other hair weaving or hair restoration techniques, you have to pay every 3-4 months. In the long term, hair transplantation tends to save more money for the patient.
- Natural-looking- The procedure of hair transplantation entails using a patient’s own hair follicles and implanting them on the bald scalp. Therefore, the results are far more natural-looking than other methods.
- Long-lasting results- Most of the hair loss treatment options offer results that lose their effectiveness within 4-5 months. Therefore, the patient needs to choose the treatment repeatedly. Hair transplantation guarantees permanent results. During the procedure of hair transplantation, the follicles are implanted onto the scalp that makes them grasp to the blood vessels under the scalp. Due to this mechanism, hair transplantation promises far more permanency.
- Overall enhanced appearance- Once the hair grows on the bald area naturally, the patient’s confidence gets a boost as their overall appearance is enhanced. This is an indirect effect on the patient’s mental health and eventually, it reflects on their work and relationships.
- No maintenance required- After undergoing hair weaving or hair fall treatments, you have to use several hair products including medicated shampoos, conditioners, masks, hair oils to keep the outcomes intact. Some require the patient to use these products throughout their lifetime. No such maintenance is required after any type of hair transplantation. After 8-12 months of the treatment and the hair cycle is completed resulting in natural hair growth, you are free to follow any hair care routine.
Side effects of hair transplant
It becomes important to mention the side effects of hair transplantation so that you can make up your mind if a hair transplant is a right choice for you.
- Itching, swelling, and pain in the scalp
- Infections around the wounds
- Visible scarring on the scalp
- Folliculitis in which the hair follicles inflame
- Formation of crusts around the wounds
- Drainage of pus from the implanted follicles
- Hair growth that is not similar to the natural hair present on the scalp
Mind you that these side effects occur only if the patient doesn’t take proper precautions both before and after the procedure. Experts from hair transplant clinics including Pristyn Care believe that with proper preparatory steps as well as recovery instructions, hair transplantation offers long-lasting results as well as faster hair growth.
Precautions to take before hair transplant
To reduce the risk of any complications during the surgery, keep the following precautions in mind-
- Stop taking any anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin to reduce the risk of bleeding.
- Stop drinking any alcoholic beverages before 72 hours of the procedure.
- Quit smoking or taking any nicotine products such as nicotine gums, cigars, etc.
- In case you are on antidepressants or any steroids, let the doctor know regarding the same.
Recovery tips to follow after hair transplant
To make sure that the grafts stay in their place for the initial days of the recovery, surgeons recommend the following tips to follow-
- Quit drinking for a couple of days after the surgery.
- Do not lift any heavyweights or objects at least for a month.
- Exercise but don’t overdo it such that it dislodges the implanted follicles.
- Do not go for swimming to protect the scalp from dirt, salt and chlorine
- Cover the head while stepping out of the home so that it doesn’t cause any sweating.
Hair transplantation is definitely a good idea as far as the patient keeps realistic expectations as well as follows the post-operative instructions diligently. In addition to this, choose a surgeon who can guide you through each step of hair transplantation. Additionally, there can be some queries that need some explanation from a specialist. Hence, consult an expert today to know more.
You must be logged in to post a comment.