The United States of America has one of the most developed and progressed regulatory frameworks in the whole world. Even in the field of financial services sectors, the norms are so confined that they won’t create any issues. The US is the world’s largest user of the Legal Entity Identifier code, around 14 percent of the overall LEIs are registered in the name US financial services economy. This is the result of a large number of US regulations requests for compulsory LEI code for performing the global financial transaction as supported by the Dodd-Frank Act. though the procedure of obtaining is simple and discussed below in the article.
Click here to know more about the LEI code system.
Steps of obtaining an LEI code in the US are:
The process of obtaining a Legal Entity Identifier is very simple. Any representative of the company can apply on the behalf of the entity as it takes only a few minutes for the LEI application form to get filled and submitted.
- Click on the “register new LEI” button here or visit the homepage of the website:
Initially, you are required to fill out all the necessary details as the applicant. This filled information is for further use if in case any additional information is required.
- Afterward, start filling out the needed details of the business entity which requires an LEI code:
This includes information related to the entity such as the name of the director or person who is legally responsible for the decisions of the entity as CEO, or the owner, address of the place entity is located.
In the case of a US LLC or LP then including a shareholder or other legal representative is needed. Proofs can be asked further for the authorization process.
- The next step is ‘Level 2 Data’ which gives you the opportunity to report for the information of the parent company:
If the company is a branch of a larger organization or another company is the owner of the concerned entity, then you may have to give detailed information on the LEI record. Although it is not at all a legal obligation to give the parent company’s detail. But if you are wishing to report a legal parent company, then you will be necessarily requested to provide pieces of evidence in regard to the relationship by way of consolidated accounts. When you are filling for LEI in the US then you have to report the whole company structure through a document showing the company structure.
- The final step is to allow you to upload the relevant documents to your application:
With the submission of the LEI application, the data is cross-checked with the relevant documents of the local companies’ registry.
If the company is not found, or the collected data does not match with the registry then supporting documents may be requested to provide. These documents may include a certificate of incumbency, a register of directors, or a registry extract.
- If you are applying for LEI code in the US then you are needed to include a document from the US secretary of the state. For filling of LEI, it is necessary to have an authorized signatory. Also needed articles or memorandum of association.
- Once the application is submitted, choose the payment mode as per preference and complete the application. You can use PAL and STRIPE as payment providers by LEI worldwide.
- A member of the worldwide LEI team will check the submission after the completion and further you will receive your LEI code within a few hours of submission.