Fences are a great way to accentuate your home and add value. They can also help keep your property safe from wandering dogs, wild animals, kids at play, and even nosey neighbors. Fences come in all shapes, sizes, materials, and colors. Some are more expensive than others but investing in the right fence for your needs will ensure that it lasts for years to come. This guide will explore some of the most popular types of fences.
Why Should You Put Up a Fence?
There are many reasons why you may want to install a fence in or around your home. Some of the most common and important include:
- Privacy – Your property may be visible from a road, or you may have neighbors close enough to see over your property line. An attractive fence can provide both physical and visual privacy.
- Security – Fences that are tall enough will prevent small children, pets, and other animals from wandering onto private property without supervision. Additionally, tall fences make it difficult for intruders to climb over them if they attempt to enter through an unlocked gate or door.
- Safety – If there is fencing around any pools on your property, this fencing must meet certain requirements as set forth by local building codes as well as state law(s). If a child were able to access the pool area without adult supervision due to inadequate fencing height restrictions, that would put his/her life at risk for drowning.
1. Colorbond Fence
Colorbond fence panels are a popular choice for fencing. It’s affordable and easy to install, so you can get your fence up in no time at all. But there are many other reasons why this may be the best option for you. Colorbond comes in a range of colors, so it’s easy to find one that suits your home’s style and also blends well with the natural environment around it. Because Colorbond is made from recycled materials such as steel or aluminum, it’s very durable and long-lasting so much so that many local councils will only allow colorbond fences on new residential developments.
2. Aluminum Fencing
Aluminum fencing is an ideal choice for those who are looking for a low-maintenance option. Aluminum fences are inexpensive and long-lasting, and they require little maintenance compared to other types of fencing. Some homeowners may be concerned about the durability of aluminum fences, but the material actually stands up well against most weather conditions. This type of fence won’t rust over time as iron or steel will.
Aluminum also offers significant savings on installation costs because it’s lightweight; you can easily install it yourself without hiring help from a contractor or home improvement company. It’s important to note that aluminum has limitations in terms of how much weight it can hold, you shouldn’t use this type of fence if you need something that could hold up to an elephant trying to step through it.
Chain-link fencing is the most affordable option and can be used in many ways. It’s commonly used to keep dogs in or out, but can also be employed as a simple divider between two properties or as part of a larger play area for children and pets.
Some people choose chain-link fences to create a dog run so they can let their dog out on their own property without having to worry about someone wandering off with them.
Composite fencing is a combination of wood and plastic. Composite fencing is durable and easy to maintain, making it a good choice for pool fences. It can also be made to look like any other type of fence, so if you want an ornate picket fence but want the added durability of composite materials, this could be the right choice for you.
However, composite material is not suitable for high-traffic areas because it will show wear faster than other materials over time. The material may also discolor when exposed to sunlight or extreme weather conditions such as rain or snow in cold climates.
5. Cedar Planks and Rails
Cedar, an aromatic wood that is naturally resistant to insects and decay, is a popular choice for fencing. In addition to its durability, cedar offers many attractive options for fence design and style. Cedar planks are available in various widths for different projects:
- 8” x 8” – This standard size of cedar has been used for hundreds of years to build houses, barns, and other structures that require durability combined with good looks. These planks can be installed vertically or horizontally depending on what look you’re going for.
- 6″ x 6″ – The most popular width of board available today when it comes to building fences out of cedar or any other type of wood material like treated pine 2x4s (2×4). It’s generally recommended that these boards be installed horizontally rather than vertically because they tend not to last as long when installed vertically due to weathering over time due primarily
6. Concrete and Cinder Blocks
Concrete and cinder blocks are a great choice for fences that need to last. They can be used to create a secure barrier or enclosure, either on their own or in combination with other materials like metal or wood.
They’re also very economical concrete is usually cheaper than concrete blocks, so if you are looking for something that won’t break the bank, this is it. You can do practically anything with these materials: build fences around whole properties, and create enclosures in backyards where pets roam freely during the day but need to be kept out at night.
7. Bamboo Fencing
Bamboo is a fast-growing grass that is generally used for fencing. A bamboo fence has become very popular in recent years due to its low maintenance, durability, and rustic aesthetic. Many homeowners choose bamboo because it requires little to no maintenance other than occasional pruning, which makes it an attractive option for busy homeowners with jobs and families.
Bamboo grows quickly and can be harvested every 3-5 years depending on the variety of bamboo you have planted on your property. If you live in a climate that gets cold during the winter months, then you may want to consider installing an artificial covering over your bamboo fence so that it does not die back during this time period.
With so many options to choose from, it can be difficult to decide which one is right for your property. While different types of fences have their own sets of benefits and drawbacks, understanding all the details can help you make an informed decision before signing any contracts or making payments on materials. If you’re considering installing a new fence around your home or office, talk with experts first.