Wood has existed for decades, and for many years, it has been used as exterior doors. Many homeowners regard it as the most authentic material for construction, bringing out a real sense of beauty and character. You will only find this material with the natural wood grain added to these doors to boost the beauty of the wood further. In addition, the robustness and the touch of the wood make the doors and the entire structure looks like it is entirely built with first-class material.
However, wood comes with its share of shortcomings. Many builders nowadays advise you to take an alternative of wood and avoid the best exterior doors Oakville. You might wonder why? Continue reading below to learn more about why most homeowners opt for other entry door materials rather than the historically common wood material.
Types of Exterior Doors
Some years ago, wood was the primary option for entry doors, if not the only available option. Only a few options were available since homeowners preferred wood and offered them the needed services. However, people started noticing that wood faced various challenges, especially when exposed to weather elements for a long time. It began to warp and bend and finally lost its appeal and effectiveness.
As such, people needed something that would offer the services offered by wood but with limited disadvantages. Though wood remains a preferred option by some homeowners, other entry door materials are overtaking it.
- Fiberglass entry doors- people prefer fiberglass exterior doors for various reasons. It is durable, offers low maintenance, and mimics the beauty of wood with built-in texture.
- Steel entry doors- steel is a common option in the commercial market. This provides high security as its material offers a nearly burglar-proof cover. It is also pretty durable.
- Wood entry doors- wood doors offer a second-to-none beauty and feel. However, you need to be ready to spend some hours in maintenance to keep that beauty. In addition, it is profoundly affected by extreme weather elements. Rain and snow can cause it to warp, rot, or crack.
- Aluminum entry doors- if you don’t like steel doors because of their weight, you can consider aluminum. They are lightweight and durable, as well. The material is also affordable.
- Vinyl entry doors- one characteristic of this type of entry door in Oakville is that it is cheaper compared to the other options discussed here. That is why its usage is increasing among homeowners. It is also durable and quite low maintenance.
Disadvantages of Wood Doors
You are pretty aware of the benefits of wood exterior doors. But the main one is that they look great when they are new, which is impossible to replicate.
You will easily notice an exterior door that is two years old and one that is ten years old. The reason is that a wood door loses its aesthetic value when it ages. So, over time, wood loses its practicality as compared to other materials such as fiberglass and steel.
In addition, wood is affected by external conditions. It cracks and warps. Pests can also drill wood and create holes in it. Water causes rot on the wood, and continuous exposure to the sun makes the upper surface peel off.
Here are some reasons why I recommend other materials for your entry doors in Oakville;
- Costs- regarding affordability, wood will not offer you that. Besides, you will have to paint and stain it to keep it looking beautiful. Moreover, it is less durable than steel or fiberglass, and soon you will need to buy a new one.
- Time demands- apart from spending more money on buying the windows, you will also spend more time on maintenance and repairs. I am sure you don’t want to be held at home by house chores on weekends.
- Safety concerns- when wood doors become weak, they are quite vulnerable to intruders who can easily access your home’s interior. Before a burglar can break into your home, he surveys to gauge how easy it is to break in. If your home has aged wood exterior doors, that would be a potential entry point by a burglar.