Running a bar ain’t a cakewalk. But with sufficient knowledge, management skills, and passion, you are bound to succeed. In this piece, we’ll let you in on some successful bar ideas, as well as cover the basics of how to manage a bar smoothly, efficiently — and use POS systems for bars (like ORTY) to your endeavor’s advantage.
What Makes a Bar Successful?
If you’re planning to master the science of running a bar, you’ve come to the right place. Here are the main factors that add up to a bar’s success:
- Service quality. From a polite greeting to efficient table service and clean toilets, every detail should indicate that you are welcome as you enter.
- Stylish interior. Elegant design, warm lighting, sturdy hardwood floors, well-designed bartender station, comfy bar counter, proper ventilation… These things are all part of your bar’s success.
- Auspicious atmosphere. Lighting, music, friendly people — these factors contribute to a bar’s popularity, too. Food and drinks matter a lot, that’s a given.
Remember one crucial point: a successful bar owner always puts customers first. Therefore, their bar is always a place where guests are warm-heartedly greeted, quickly served, and provided with a one-of-a-kind experience. Is owning a bar profitable? The answer depends on how you approach this serious issue. If you do it the right way, then it’s a definite yes. If you fail to develop a smart strategy and use all the best tools for the endeavor, owning a bar won’t be a profitable thing at all.
Needed Bar Equipment
Opening a bar is less risky if you follow a detailed plan. Prior to transforming that plan into reality and opening your doors, ensuring that you have all the necessary equipment is very important. So, what equipment do you need for a bar? Here’s a brief list:
- coolers and freezers;
- ice machines;
- cocktail and bartending equipment, including various types of glasses;
- an array of beverages, both with alcohol and non-alcoholic;
- takeout supplies;
- a top-notch POS system i.e., bar management software for tracking sales, storing client data, managing bar inventory, and more. ORTY will effectively help you here;
- high-quality furniture.
Bar Owners Tips
Irrespective of the type of bar you’re planning to open, here are the tips to help you achieve success:
- research your competitors and make a list of their perks;
- make sure your finances are in good shape;
- make a solid plan of your bar’s layout;
- stimulate your clients to stop by during the week, not just on Saturday night;
- keep laser-like focus on hospitality;
- always ask your guests’ opinion;
- perfect your inventory;
- learn how to use POS systems for bars;
- keep your menu simple;
- offer a signature drink (and make sure it’s second-to-none, too!);
- make sure your bar has something for everyone.
So, bottoms up! Are you ready to take action? Being a bar owner is tough, hands down. But it’s also one of the most rewarding and delightful experiences you’ll ever have. Just do your homework and plan ahead prior to making big investments.